Wednesday, October 13, 2004

"sorry, but you're going to hell...."

I've always been uneasy around people who decide the eternal fate of people so black-and-white, and matter-of-fact like. It's as if they enjoy damning people to hell or something. Now, it's not that I have a problem with being upfront or honest (or maybe it is and I do have that problem) it's just that I don't want to be the one responsible for sending people to hell or guiding them away from heaven. God never gave anyone that right or responsibility, did He?

Along those same lines, it's interesting the way we talk of not judging people and how many Christians preach casually that we're not supposed to judge anyone, EVER! Yet, then there are other Christians who judge practically every living thing in sight (from humans to animals to even ideas)! It seems both are inappropriate responses, really. Paul proclaimed, "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside." (I Cor. 5-12,13a) After reading that I have only three words left to speak: what a relief.

1 comment:

Wesley English said...

I think people feel comfortable with a) seeing things in black and white and b) feeling in control ("knowing" if someone is going to hell definitly makes you feel in control). I think it also makes people feel comfortable if they think what they see on the outside in their limited experience with the person is all there is to that person. But people are complex and only God knows the heart.

Another interesting point that comes up in this discussion is that people tend to judge mainly on the negative side, when really there are those pious individuals who have a dark heart. I guess that's why it's left up to God. 'Cause we're so into ourselves and our comfort that we couldn't do an infitisimal fraction of the right job. Plus, our standards are often not God's standards.

Ok, so I'm rambling now. But thanks for the reminder to watch myself and my human nature to judge others.