Friday, March 25, 2005

The Real Days

As much as it pains me to admit this, there are just some people in the world who lack almost any artistic vision. And when I say vision, I mean vision as related to seeing things with an artistic/creative bent.

I'm not sure this creative way of seeing can be learned--in a lecture educational setting, that is--because really, it's something you grow up with and learn by way of looking and hearing and feeling and experiencing and loving and being loved. Obviously, my generation is audaciously image-driven but contrary to much Boomer thinking, I don't think that's a bad thing. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm actually very excited to see how my generation turns out. Because we tend to elevate the relational side of ourselves, we're often not content with unreal or inauthentic friendships. We crave intimacy, desire meaning and few of us could be accused of really wanting the American Dream. In a sense, we're very different from our parents.

Sure we have our setbacks, and we have trouble dealing with finances and aren't as stingy with our money as maybe we shoud be (or shouldn't we?) but all in all, I'm so glad I'm growing up now--despite the craziness of the world in which we live in--as opposed to growing up 50 years ago. I know those were the "good ole' days," but in all honesty, there are so many people that came out of the good ole' days that are not only NOT good but are also unhappy, unfulfilled and worst of all, consumed IN themselves. This is where I feel my generation is trying to come in and change things around and mix things up. We want something real but we also want to keep playing. We want to grow old but we don't want to grow up. We want to be like little children but we don't want to be treated like them. We want community and don't want to be alone. And the list goes on and on and on.

This post isn't really going anywhere in particular I guess. The point, as thought of in modern days, is not so clear. I guess I just wanted to point out how thankful and grateful I am to be a part of this generation...which is something I think few people in the past could really say honestly. I'm thankful I'm where I am--even though it's not perfect and not yet whole and not yet fully blossomed into the life-potential I think it will someday be--and this suits me just fine for now.

So to all my fellow ones---Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Mormon, Atheist, Agnostic, God's Beloved little children...whatever you call yourself---I just wanted to say I'm so glad you're living in this world with me now.

No comments: