Sunday, February 06, 2005

Freaks and Geeks: A masterpiece from television

I'm not a fan of TV programs in general but after a recomendation from Taylor professor Jeff Cramer to see the lost, ran-only-one-season-and-cancelled-but-now-it's-a-cult-phenomenon show "Freaks and Geeks," I saw the very first episode last Fall and loved it. Lately, I've been watching more episodes (as I got the entire show on DVD for Christmas) and at the end of each episode I'm happy and sad, knowing that it's one more down and only a few more left. I don't want it to end. It's really quite sad.

If you haven't seen this show, do yourself a favor and borrow it from someone (Jamin has it I think for you Taylor folks, and if not, it's available to rent). It hits on pretty much everything from high school that you never thought you'd like to remember, and of course, all of those other things that seem to be universal to growing up. From freshmen boys not wanting to take showers in P.E. (but forced to...was there anyone else who went to a school where taking showers was "extra credit?") to a guy liking a girl and then that girl telling that guy that she likes this OTHER guy (thus, putting the original guy in the "i like you as a friend" category), high school is often not thought of as a "wonderful time," but watching "Freaks and Geeks" made me laugh, cringe, and think that maybe it wasn't such a bad time after all.

I wish more TV shows could accomplish so much in such a short amount of time. And for anyone who's seen the show, the boy who plays Sam deserves an Emmy...I don't care if the show is off the air. He captures the very essence of what the "nice guy" in high school felt like all throughout.

1 comment:

Chalupa said...

so glad to hear you know about and love this show as much as i. you should watch Undeclared as well. made by the same people and some of the same cast.