Saturday, January 01, 2005

Books, Cocoa Puffs, 2005.

I'm on my tenth Madeleine L'Engle book right now and I think I can safetly say that she is pretty much my favorite author. Each book sheds new insight into her grace and love, and the kind of joy that I hope to one day have. Maybe I just get her or she gets me or she just gets life and I love that about her but whatever it is, I'm halfway through on this book and don't really want to finish it.

Oh, and last week I finished a book called "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs" and it was excellent. A must read for any pop culture fanatic who swears there's got to be some good in watching things like The Real World, or listening to country music, or playing psycho-materialistic-individualistic self-serving ideological computer games like The Sims. If you're over the age of 33, you might want to hold off on this. Not because you won't like it but b/c you probably won't get a lot of it. Chuck Kloisterman (author) writes with a SPIN magazine flare (as he should...he's an editor for it) and whenever he's not making you laugh while reading I swear he makes you think hard about the low brow style and the substance of the this style in popular culture. Oh and one more thing; any book where in the last chapter an author comments on Left Behind and says the born-again Christian type of person would never even think to read this book (i.e., reading his book "sex, drugs and cocoa puffs"...as if born-againers are so far removed from pop culture they would've even have heard of chuck's work) is someone to pay attention to. I have to admit I smiled when I read this b/c I felt like I was in on some secret club or rock band or something: the secular pistols, maybe?

Oh, and happy 2005. Keep reading the good stuff and telling me about other good pieces you find yourself.

No comments: