Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Drama of Doctrine

Reading this new book ("The Drama of Doctrine") has definitely been a challenge. However, it's a new kind of systematic theology that our Western World has been dying for I think. Madeleine L'Engle wrote about it. Karl Barth hinted to it. The divinity unfolding within the drama of the greatest story ever told. It seems so funny to be called that, doesn't it? I always used to cringe when I was younger thinking that title was too ambitious, even for the writers of Scripture. To me, it seemed that if it was the 'greatest story ever told,' nobody needed to tell people it was. Greatness is great because of what it is, not because of what someone says it should be. That's the thing about stories, too. They grab you and won't let go. And great fiction--in my opinion--is the greatest venue for truth we humans have around today. Is that because the medieval Christians were so hostile to it? So hostile that they failed to see the affirmation of fiction, of story, of drama unfolding within the Christian doctrine the Church was slowly but surely setting forth?

Who knows.

I'm back on Blogger and hopefully will start writing more than I have been in the past 6 months.

1 comment:

nateshorb said...

whoa whoa whoa...
the least you could have done was post an announcement on xanga that you came back here. i had no idea!